Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Come and Clap.... I think...

Amidst all the pies and donuts I could muster to both purchase and consume from the bakery in Sandringham, Auckland while I was there visiting my family, I discovered the best show I've seen in New Zealand: It's called Homai Te Pakipaki - which I assume (using the non-existent Maori language skills I have), means "Come and Clap" in English. I could be wrong. Well, really, the likelihood is probably.

In any case, it's a Maori version of Australian Idol/American Idol, where you sing for the nights-end prize of $1000. Essentially, it's called "Maorioke" - although, there's already a show by that name on the same channel.

Still, I marvelled at the tenacity of the contestants, singing their best, and if there was an opportunity, to give a shout out to family and friends either before,during or after the song. I very much enjoy the mid-song shout outs, usually best done in the instrumental bridge to fill up the awkward silence.

So, I was sad to see the show stay behind in NZ when I returned to Sydney and had withdrawals, so I used a considerable amount of bandwith to view the shows online. All in the space of a 9 hour block, thus blurring the line between fan and obsessed stalker. But I can honestly say it was worth it. Singing along at 4am with contestants were a highlight... not for neighbours, but I think Moesha the cat enjoyed my dulcet(read: slightly tone-deaf) interpretations.

Nevertheless, I found an outstanding singer from last years competition who I thought was amazing. His version of I Will Always Love You spanked that chinese-subo guy. His power and falsetto was just amazing. And he also did the mid-song shout outs. All in jandals. Who says you can't be comfortable while singing on National TV?

And, as you do, I went onto YouTube to see if there was anything else out there on this guy and I came across this post of him singing Ave Maria (Beyonce version). Honestly the best version (in my opinion) out there. So if you watch anything on YouTube this year, watch this.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment